O/N BOCES’ Precision Machine Tech Program Wins Educational Award | Schools
The Orleans/Niagara BOCES Precision Machine Technology Program has received the 2012 Clips & Clamps Industries Institution Award for outstanding program. Teacher Bill Rakonczay says the primary focus on his program at the Orleans Career and Technical Education Center is “jobs, jobs, jobs”.
There are currently 49 students in both of his classes with 24 seniors and 25 juniors. “Students enter the program their junior year and by the end of their senior year, they are expected to be ready for the workforce with good entry-level skills,” says Rakonczay. His classroom is a mix of theory work and hands-on practice. In addition to technical knowledge and practical skills, students are required to demonstrate organization, responsibility, good attendance, a positive work ethic and all the attributes that make a good employee. Successful students capstone, which is placement at local companies, where they work four days of the week. He is very proud of the fact that after graduation 75% of seniors are successfully placed in work study programs and that more than 50 percent of the students in the class achieve National Institute of Metalworking Skills (NIMS) certification each year. The Precision Machine Technology program at the center is the only secondary program in New York State certified by NIMS. Articulation agreements have also been forged with Erie Community College, Monroe Community College and Genesee Community College, through which students may choose to earn college credits through the program.
The Educational Institution Award is one of eight Awards of Excellence in Metalforming presented annually by the Precision Metalforming Association (PMA). It recognizes a public or private educational institution that provides outstanding training and educational services to companies in the metalforming industry. Mr. Rakonczay accepted his award in Las Vegas along with a $1,500 cash award that will be used to buy equipment for his program.
Upcoming Events near Niagara County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AT&T Announces More Than 150 Jobs Available in New York
- Niland Named Daemen’s Athletics Director
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Seeking info on Location of Collin Simons
- Secret Service: Queens Woman Pleads Guilty to Possession; Counterfeit Money
- Secret Service Grounds a local "Check Kiting" Ring 5 Arrested, Convicted
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way
- City of Toronto reminds residents to prepare for severe storms on anniversary of July 8, 2013 flood