Canadian Man Illegally Enters U.S. by Canoe | News
NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. - A Canadian man was nabbed by U.S. Border Patrol agents after he tried to enter the country illegally by canoe.
Official say the suspect stole a canoe from a home in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario and crossed the river using a shovel for a paddle.
Once he reached shore, he abandoned the canoe at a boat ramp in Fort Niagara State Park, located in Youngstown, N.Y.
Agents found the suspect walking out of Fort Niagara State Park and discovered he was in the United States illegally.
Agents have not identified the man, but say he is from British Columbia. He was allegedly trying to get to New York City.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection asks residents to report any suspicious activity to the Border Patrol by calling 1-800-331-0353 toll free.
Upcoming Events near Niagara County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AT&T Announces More Than 150 Jobs Available in New York
- Niland Named Daemen’s Athletics Director
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Seeking info on Location of Collin Simons
- Secret Service: Queens Woman Pleads Guilty to Possession; Counterfeit Money
- Secret Service Grounds a local "Check Kiting" Ring 5 Arrested, Convicted
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way
- City of Toronto reminds residents to prepare for severe storms on anniversary of July 8, 2013 flood