Canadian Man Illegally Enters U.S. by Canoe | News
NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. - A Canadian man was nabbed by U.S. Border Patrol agents after he tried to enter the country illegally by canoe.
Official say the suspect stole a canoe from a home in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario and crossed the river using a shovel for a paddle.
Once he reached shore, he abandoned the canoe at a boat ramp in Fort Niagara State Park, located in Youngstown, N.Y.
Agents found the suspect walking out of Fort Niagara State Park and discovered he was in the United States illegally.
Agents have not identified the man, but say he is from British Columbia. He was allegedly trying to get to New York City.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection asks residents to report any suspicious activity to the Border Patrol by calling 1-800-331-0353 toll free.
Upcoming Events near Niagara County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- NOCO raises more than $8,400 for Roswell Park in Blue4Ben campaign
- Bridal Shower Fundraiser Offers Attendees Chance to Take Home the Gifts
- NHTSA and Local Police Remind of Dangers of Distracted Driving - "You Drive, You Text, You Pay."
- City of Niagara Falls Woman Arrested after Three Month Investigation
- Certain Gates Corp. Tru-Flow Water Pumps, serving as after-market replacements for various VW cars