Bail Set at $1M for Man Accused of Trying to Kill 7-Year-Old | News
LOCKPORT, NY-- Bail has been set at $1 million for a Lockport man accused of trying to kill a seven-year-old girl.
David Alfonso, 28, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to several charges, including attempted murder, after he allegedly tried to strangle his girlfriend's daughter to death.
Det. Lt. Scott Seekins, Lockport Police Department, explained the reason for the high bail. "We certainly have to ensure for the child and for the mother that they remain safe and we have to make sure that the purpose of bail is what it is to guarantee his appearance for future proceedings."
Police say they had to use a taser to subdue Alfonso when they arrived at the scene on Monroe Street Monday because he was combative with officers.
They say the young victim suffered serious neck, throat, jaw and tongue injuries in the attack and still can't speak.
Investigators are still looking into a motive.
Upcoming Events near Niagara County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- International Experts to Examine Crisis in Ukraine
- April Is Pet First Aid Awareness Month
- Drums Along the Waterfront Announces New Venue; Tickets Now Available
- Amherst Will Study Ending Lifetime Health Benefits for elected officials
- Vegetable, Fruit and Flower Share Programs Return to Farmers & Artisans
- NOCO raises more than $8,400 for Roswell Park in Blue4Ben campaign
- Bridal Shower Fundraiser Offers Attendees Chance to Take Home the Gifts
- NHTSA and Local Police Remind of Dangers of Distracted Driving - "You Drive, You Text, You Pay."
- City of Niagara Falls Woman Arrested after Three Month Investigation
- Certain Gates Corp. Tru-Flow Water Pumps, serving as after-market replacements for various VW cars