Bail Set at $1M for Man Accused of Trying to Kill 7-Year-Old | News
LOCKPORT, NY-- Bail has been set at $1 million for a Lockport man accused of trying to kill a seven-year-old girl.
David Alfonso, 28, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to several charges, including attempted murder, after he allegedly tried to strangle his girlfriend's daughter to death.
Det. Lt. Scott Seekins, Lockport Police Department, explained the reason for the high bail. "We certainly have to ensure for the child and for the mother that they remain safe and we have to make sure that the purpose of bail is what it is to guarantee his appearance for future proceedings."
Police say they had to use a taser to subdue Alfonso when they arrived at the scene on Monroe Street Monday because he was combative with officers.
They say the young victim suffered serious neck, throat, jaw and tongue injuries in the attack and still can't speak.
Investigators are still looking into a motive.
Upcoming Events near Niagara County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AT&T Announces More Than 150 Jobs Available in New York
- Niland Named Daemen’s Athletics Director
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Seeking info on Location of Collin Simons
- Secret Service: Queens Woman Pleads Guilty to Possession; Counterfeit Money
- Secret Service Grounds a local "Check Kiting" Ring 5 Arrested, Convicted
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way
- City of Toronto reminds residents to prepare for severe storms on anniversary of July 8, 2013 flood