Man Charged After Child Brutally Attacked in Lockport | News
LOCKPORT, N.Y. - A Lockport man is behind bars for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend's seven-year-old daughter.
David Alfonso, 28, is charged with attempted murder, strangulation and assault. He was arrested Monday afternoon for allegedly trying to kill the little girl.
Police received a 911 call from a woman, now identified as the child's mother, shouting something like "he is killing my baby," according to Lockport police.
Police arrived at the scene, 79 Monroe Street, to find David Alfonso bleeding in the middle of the intersection.
Police say he had to be taken into custody by force and that a taser had to be used.
At about the same time police were taking him into custody, police officers were approached in the same intersection by a female, 27-year-old Cassandra Castro.
She was armed with a butcher knife. She was not charged. Detective Lieutenant Scott Seekins told 2 On Your Side, "she was being a mother, protecting her daughter."
She was disarmed by the chief of police and secured for investigation.
Cassandra explained to police that Alfonso had just tried to kill her daughter in the house.
Officers immediately conducted a search to locate the child.
At about that time, another police call came in that a young female, bleeding, had just arrived at an address on Church Street a few blocks away. Police located the 7-year-old girl.
She said she had been assaulted by Alfonso inside the home and that she had to run to get away. The little girl was transported to Children's Hospital for treatment of assault injuries to her neck, throat, jaw, tongue and teeth.
Alfonso was arraigned in Lockport City Court and must appear for a bail hearing. He has a prior felony conviction. The motive is still under investigation
Upcoming Events near Niagara County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Daemen Receives National Distinction As a ‘Great College to Work For’
- India’s Ambassador Mulay to Present Lecture at Daemen
- Free Concert, Scottish Festival Among August Highlights at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Deer Rescued from Glen Falls in Williamsville
- Daemen Approved for Advancement in NCAA Membership Process
- NOCO Express stores raise more than $12,000 for United Way
- City of Toronto reminds residents to prepare for severe storms on anniversary of July 8, 2013 flood
- Buffalo, NY Fourth City Employee Pleads Guilty to Theft of Thousands from Parking Meters
- Joint Underage Alcohol Enforcement Effort 15 Pass; 2 Charged
- Better Business Bureau Offers Advice to Homeowners on Roofing Contractors