Shotgun Blast Leads to Arrest in Lockport | News
LOCKPORT, NY - Lockport Police officers arrested a man who fired a shotgun on Genesee Street on Christmas night at about 10 p.m.
The slug penetrated an exterior wall and an inside door of the building at 107 Genesee Street before becoming lodged in a wall on the opposite side of the building, according to a statement released by police Wednesday morning.
Police arrested Kenneth W. Houghton, Jr. on charges of reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, assault and a variety of weapons possession violations after determining that the shot had come from the vicinity of 119 Genesee Street.
They believe Houghton fired a 12-gauge shotgun recovered at the scene in the course of a drug robbery.
No one was injured related to the gun shot, but Detective Kevin Schrader suffered a broken thumb in a struggle that occurred as he tried to arrest the suspect. The building at 107 Genesee Street sustained about $500 worth of damage.
Houghton was arraigned in Lockport City Court and is being held at Niagara County Jail for an appearance next Monday.
Upcoming Events near Niagara County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- April Is Pet First Aid Awareness Month
- Drums Along the Waterfront Announces New Venue; Tickets Now Available
- Amherst Will Study Ending Lifetime Health Benefits for elected officials
- Vegetable, Fruit and Flower Share Programs Return to Farmers & Artisans
- Amherst Votes to Keep Lifetime Healthcare for Some Officials
- NOCO raises more than $8,400 for Roswell Park in Blue4Ben campaign
- Bridal Shower Fundraiser Offers Attendees Chance to Take Home the Gifts
- NHTSA and Local Police Remind of Dangers of Distracted Driving - "You Drive, You Text, You Pay."
- City of Niagara Falls Woman Arrested after Three Month Investigation
- Certain Gates Corp. Tru-Flow Water Pumps, serving as after-market replacements for various VW cars