Local Invention Could Save Lives During Fires | News
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Like so many of us, Al Shaw was deeply impacted by the events on September 11, 2001. The images of people jumping to their deaths from the Twin Towers were burned into his memory.
So the Western New Yorker changed career paths and ventured into the business of fire prevention.
Al's first invention was Fireline 520, a system of fire barriers used mostly in stadiums and public buildings.
But his newest invention is his best, Al says.
It's called the Butterfly Smoke Seal. The product can be placed under and around doors to keep smoke out of a room. Al says they're great for homes, dorm rooms, hotels and offices.
2 On Your Side was there as the product was tested during a fire training session at Niagara County Community College in Sanborn.
The product is now available for sale by SkyMall, and Al hopes to be in the big box stores nationwide in the coming months.
You can learn more about Al and the Butterfly Smoke Seal by watching our special report in the video player.
Upcoming Events near Niagara County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- CERT Recipe Book Marks Group’s 10th Anniversary
- Tribute to Angels event raises funds for Kenmore Mercy Hospital
- Town of Hamburg Police Ask Assistance in Identifying Individual for Questioning
- Scholarship Stresses Importance of Character, Education
- Holiday Tour Fun at the Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum