Lockport Mayor Says Tourism Agency Doesn't Help City | News
Lockport, N.Y. - The mayor of Lockport wants out.
Mayor Michael Tucker says the city gets little bang for its buck from the Niagara County Tourism and Convention Corporation.
The NTCC is the county's official tourism agency, and Lockport gives it about $90,000 a year which comes from a 4% bed tax that is charged by hotels and motels. Under state law, NTCC receives 75% of that money, which Tucker says amounts to about $90,000 a year.
Tucker says that the agency does a poor job promoting Lockport and from now on "we want to take care of ourselves."
Tucker says the city's 2013 budget, which is due to be voted on next Wednesday, will contain no money for the NTCC. Instead, Tucker wants the city to create a job for a marketing director whose job would be to promote tourism in the city.
"We need a better bang for our buck," said Tucker.
But the president of the NTCC says Tucker's unhappiness is news to him and that the agency has been doing a good job for the city.
"The hotel numbers have been up significantly, they've been up year-to-year. Attraction numbers are up across the board in Lockport. I don't know where this dissatisfaction is coming from."
Tucker disagrees: "He knows that I'm not happy. He knows the city of Lockport hasn't been happy for a long time.
2 On Your Side's Scott Brown asked Percy if he would call Tucker on Tuesday: "Absolutely," said Percy. We need to schedule a meeting and find out where we can meet somewhere in the middle and counter some of these claims he's been making.
It's believed that Tucker could not withhold the money from the bed tax without a change in state legislation.
The NTCC receives its most of its funding from a bed tax from Lockport, Niagara Falls and the Niagara County.
Upcoming Events near Niagara County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Three Sent to Hospital after Accident on Millersport Highway
- Buffalo’s Economic Resurgence Focus of Mayor’s Daemen Lecture
- Cartagena guilty of other charges in death of daughter
- Quilt Seminar, 5K Run Headline September Events at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Daemen Grant to Establish Fitness Program for Individuals With Disabilities, Educate Trainers
- Amherst Police Release Photos in Friday Bank Robbery
- Brockport Male arrested; Alledged Mail Fraud, Forgery, Theft of Public Money
- Convicted City of Buffalo Employee Sentenced 6 Months Ordered to repay $9K
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Tributes K9 Crime Fighting Co-workers
- NYSP: Missing Adult Alert: Walter Marsh CANCELED