Pentagon Meeting on Future of NF's 107th Air Guard Unit | News
BUFFALO, N.Y. - A representative group of the nation's governors says it expects an internal Pentagon meeting on Friday may help spell out the future of the 107th Airlift Wing of the Niagara Falls Air Reserve Station and various other Air National Guard units across the country.
The Council of Governors is looking for Air Force Secretary Michael Donley and Air Force Chief of Staff Norton Schwartz to meet with Pentagon leadership to discuss the Council's alternative plan to the original Air Force plan.
Back in February, the Air Force called for the elimination of 5,100 Air National Guard positions and the removal of the C-130 flying mission from the 107th. The plan also called for the transfer of three of the cargo planes from the Niagara Falls base. The impact on the Niagara base could be the loss of more than 800 jobs.
The Council and National Guard State Adjutants General proposed a new plan earlier this month which would restore some units and add new units to some affected bases. That could include the transfer of the MC-12 intelligence gathering plane mission to the Niagara base and the 107th.
Staff Writer Brian Everstine of the Air Force Times tells 2 On Your Side it is not clear when the Pentagon would actually announce any decisions about the plan from the Council of Governors.
Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley told Senator Kirsten Gillibrand on Tuesday that they were looking at the Council's plan and had reached no conclusion. Donley and Schwartz appeared in a hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee.
Upcoming Events near Niagara County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Buffalo’s Economic Resurgence Focus of Mayor’s Daemen Lecture
- Cartagena guilty of other charges in death of daughter
- Quilt Seminar, 5K Run Headline September Events at Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village
- Daemen Grant to Establish Fitness Program for Individuals With Disabilities, Educate Trainers
- Daemen Associate Athletic Director Named to 30 Under Thirty
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Tributes K9 Crime Fighting Co-workers
- NYSP: Missing Adult Alert: Walter Marsh CANCELED
- U.S. Marshals Holding National Jewelry Sale
- Niagara County Sheriff's Department Seeking info on Location of Collin Simons
- Secret Service: Queens Woman Pleads Guilty to Possession; Counterfeit Money